Fish Sizes Licences Bag Limits

Posted by OzWit Australia on

Fishing in another state can be different to the area or state your use to fishing in. It’s a good idea to check out the local fisheries department to get up to date information regarding fish size limits, fish bag limits, recreational fishing licensing and boat licensing and whether or not you need flares for inside fishing or not. They can provide you with books on this information. When we were in Broome WA we were pulled up by the fisheries as we were putting the tinny in the water. We found that our 11ft tinny needed to be registered in WA and we needed closed waters safety equipment including flares but in NSW 11ft tinnies were not required to be registered.

After getting the boat registered and acquiring our in shore safety kit we finally got our tinny in the water we were amazed at the different colours and species of fish we caught and what we could and couldn’t eat, so it’s a good idea to get a fish species guide as well to help you identify what you are about to keep and eat.

Always check tide times and remember that some tides especially in the north can be up to five times bigger than in the south. Check whether conditions and safety gear before leaving and tell someone where you intend to go and your estimated time of return.

Every state has different bag and size limits, so be sure to check out the links for each state below, you may save yourself a hefty fine.

For most people the above information may be obvious or just second nature, but with everything you have to think about when travelling, a guide in the boat or fishing bag may save some guess work. So check out the links below and have a safe, happy fishing experience.

Share this post