Ingredients – Sweet Bread Mix
Ingredients – Filling
- Follow instructions on the back of the Laucke Sweet Bread and Bun Specialty Mix, Steps 1 to 2.
- Place milk in a pan over medium heat and add vanilla essence. Warm gently and then set aside for 10 minutes. Place cornflour, custard powder and caster sugar in a pan, add the milk and vanilla mix and whisk until smooth. Add cream, return to low heat stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and boils. Add butter, stirring well to combine, then remove from heat and whisk in the egg yolk. Set aside to cool before placing onto rolled bread mix.
- Once the sweet bread mix has raised, place on a floured chopping board or flat floured surface and roll with a floured rolling pin or floured bottle to form a flat dough, approximately 1-2cm thick.
- Using a knife cut 10 to 12 strips diagonally down each side about 3cms wide and 6cm deep leaving an uncut oblong shape in the middle to hold the filling.
- Add custard in an even layer in the middle of sweet bread mix and then place 5-6 pears halves on top and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Fold each end strip into the middle of the filling and fold the side strips left over right, crisscrossing the filling ensuring it is fully encased. Set aside and allow to rest.
- In a small bowl mix honey, water, almonds and baste the top of the braided bread evenly to ensure a sweet golden top.
- Cook in a large camp oven on low heat for approximately 50-60 minutes or a conventional oven on low heat for approximately 35-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Check if cooked through by using a skewer and pressing your finger down on the pastry to see if it springs back.
NOTE: The custard can be made ahead of time and frozen for up to one month or left in fridge for 48 hours.